Spring in Arizona: The days are getting longer, the afternoons are getting hotter, but the mornings are just getting gorgeouser.
Longer days + my later work schedule = waking up to nature’s alarm clock. The sun starts creeping in about 6:30 and I tried to fight it for the last few weeks, but this week I decided to embrace it.
When I took my new job, I really wanted to use the morning hours I was used to being up and at work anyway. It has worked, but more often than not, it has failed miserably. Not this week – and it wasn’t even a huge commitment.
When the sun woke me up about 40 minutes before I HAVE to get up, instead of fighting it for those 40 minutes, I laced up and took the pups for runs! This is the most genius thing I have done in a while, which is why I’m so excited to tell you. It’s probably common sense to everybody else and their mom, but for me, it took a while to get there.
(Yes, pups plural. Allow me to introduce Lily-girl, she is Sean’s dog.
She’s a beautiful mutt – he was told boxer mix, but she turned out to be a tall and skinny medium-sized girl who looks more like a lab, whippet, Great Dane, maybe pointer of some sort, but everyone always tells us how gorgeous she is – her coat is super shiny! Sean got her as a puppy just a few weeks after we started dating and now, of course, we’re all together.)
Rigo is a racer and Lily is a bit of a klutz, so they can’t go together (maybe some day!), so one at a time, we go for a mile run. Then I do a few chores around the house, wait to stop sweating, take a shower and start my day – NBD.
We got these in three days this week and it was amazing because:
1. They got exercise so they wouldn’t go crazypants being in all day.
2. I got exercise so if something came up after work and I had to skip my “real” workout, at least I got something for the day.
True story. I even made Sean’s lunch one morning – out of the goodness of my endorphin-loving heart. Running + sunshine is really just an amazing way to start the day.
4. As I said, Rigo’s a sprinter, but Lily’s no lazy girl, she keeps a pretty good pace. Our runs have been faster than my normal pace, which is great tempo training for my upcoming Pat’s Run.
5. I didn’t feel guilty about staying in bed when I was awake and could have been doing something more productive.
6. It’s good preparation for the summer when morning workouts will be the only option – if even that…there will probably be some days it’s just too hot for them.
So, that’s my life/exercise hack for the day – an easy-to-commit-to workout that kills about six stones with two little miles.